The name “Pigeon Forge” comes from the iron forge built by Isaac Love (1783-1854) around 1820. The name referred to forge this place along Little Pigeon River near what is now the Old Mill. The river’s name comes Passenger Pigeon flocks frequented its banks at the first Euro-American settlers on arrival.
For centuries, the Cherokee used the valley where Pigeon Forge is now a hunting ground. A road known as the Cherokee Indian Gap Trail crossed the Great Smokies of North Carolina and crossed the road in Pigeon Forge Valley to its confluence with the Great Indian Warpath modern Sevierville (US-441 is very similar to the old road, although the crests of the mountains, instead of Newfound Gap India). Sevierville, the Warpath westward Overhill Cherokee towns along the Little Tennessee River.
The Indian Gap Trail brought the first Europeans to the Pigeon Forge area in the early 18th century. With hunters and hunters of North Carolina, Virginia buyers had crossed the valley before the 1750th Some time after 1783, Colonel Samuel Wear (1753-1817) was the first permanent Euro-American settlers in Pigeon Forge area. Porter, a veteran of the American Revolution, erected a small fort near the confluence of Walden Creek and Little Pigeon River (Sevier County.) Porter would later serve as a member of the committee that drafted the constitution of Tennessee State.
In 1785, the Cherokee signed the Treaty of Dumplin Creek, overlooking much of what is now Sevier County in the U.S.. Among the first to take advantage of this was Robert Shields (1740-1802) who received a survey for an area in the Pigeon Forge Watauga Land Office in 1786. Shields, who like Porter was a veteran of the revolution, established a small fort along Middle Creek (near what is now Dollywood). Shields son later wrote that the fort was 100 feet (30 meters) long and 16 feet (4.9 m) wide with 12 feet (3.7 m) with walls built “heavy logs “. The intensive housing for six families with a common kitchen at one end and a community life in the other. As his family grew, Shields built separate houses for his children, one of which was purchased by Horatio Butler in 1797 and remained with his descendants until it was demolished in 1994.
Although the Shields Fort was too far from the main Cherokee trails will never experience a serious assault, riding wear from Fort Indian Gap Trail, making it a popular destination for small bands of Cherokee warriors. When the Cherokee attacked his fort in 1793, frustrated by the whole band wear led to the 60 pioneers Northwest Hill Overlook Smokies in Cherokee territory. Pioneers attacked and destroyed the city of Tallahassee (near modern Calderwood Dam), killing at least fifteen Cherokee and capturing many others. In 1794, the Cherokee shot of wear, and his two sons just outside of Calvin’s Blockhouse (near Maryville), even if the clothes come out unscathed.
Although the treaties negotiations Tellico Blockhouse in 1794 and 1798 led a peaceful, sporadic fighting continued between the Cherokee and the settlers. A serious accident occurred in 1800, when the son of Barefoot Runyan (1749-1845) and Margaret Rambo (who were stationed near the heart of modern Pigeon Forge) was killed by a Cherokee warrior. The newly-elected Governor Archibald Roane was forced to intervene personally to prevent retaliatory strikes.
The 19th century
Bishop Francis Asbury monument at Shiloh Memorial Cemetery.
Like all Appalachian communities, religion played an important role in the early history of Pigeon Forge. In the early 19th century itinerant, preached in the valley, creating a large Methodist following that remains to this day. 20th October 1808 Bishop Francis Asbury delivered a sermon on what is now Shiloh Memorial Cemetery in the northern half of Pigeon Forge, where a crude log church was erected. Among the first “tourists” to visit Pigeon Forge came from revivals held in the extended region of the Middle Creek (because of what is now Middle Creek Methodist Church) since 1822. These revivals could last several weeks at a time.
In 1810, a veteran of the Revolutionary War Mordecai Lewis, had 151 acres (61 hectares) to grant land along Little Pigeon River, near the heart of what is now Pigeon Forge. In 1817 Lewis, son-in-law, Isaac Love (1783-1854), with the iron hammer that the city was finally appointed. The Bloomery complex with the oven, and water-powered trip hammer odor and mildew in the path of ore. Love Pigeon Forge Mill built in 1830 and 29 May 1841, Love was founded by William the son of a post office, which gave the “Pigeon Forge” name – and a mill and a small community, which was developed in its vicinity. Local businessman John Sevier Trotter (1807-1884) bought the mill and furnace in 1849 and has since undergone several changes, including the addition of the saw. Even if the iron furnace was sold and moved in 1880, Pigeon Forge Mill – usually called “Old Mill” – is still valid, and has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The year 1870 was a seaside resort in Pigeon Forge at Henderson Springs, adjacent to the site of Fort Porter on the north side of town. It was common during this period for residents in large urban areas to visit Springs Mountain, the waters were believed to have health-restoring qualities. honda financial services customer service